Recently I have taken part in DEV Challenge 12 competition. The task for the 1st round of the competition was to redesign existing mobile app for Photofact.info project. So, the case study described below is based on this task and helped me get to the 2nd round with the 7th place out of 55 participants.
Since the original app and the system are indented for Ukrainian/Russian speaking audience, Russian language was used as the app UI language and for the description.
Redesign existing mobile app for Photofact.info project.
In order to optimize the redesign process, define key problems and come up with optimal solution, I decided to pick up some activities from Design Sprint framework by Google Ventures.
Since I didn’t have the chance to talk to real experts, I used the brief attached to the task as a source of knowledge about the startup and the mobile app. Based on that, I built the hypothesis about project goals, users and roles etc.
Map & How-Might-We Questions
Based on the data acquired earlier I drew a map for key roles of the system. Then I complemented the map with “How Might We” questions, which helped to shift attention from having problems to identifying opportunities.
Long Term Goal
To stay focused during the design process, be able to align the vision and adjust the solutions, I stated the Long Term Goal, as a summary of all insides that were gathered during the Ask Expert Activity.
Before jumping into idea generation I reviewed several similar apps, and some features from apps that solve similar problems but in different business areas.
Notes and Ideas (4-step Sketch activity)
Notes and Ideas activities aims to sum up all the insides gathered before. It is quite right time to ask additional questions as well as generate first ideas.
Crazy 8s (4-step Sketch activity)
Even though the Crazy 8s exercise does not lead directly to the solution creation, it helps free imaginations from judgment and speed up the idea generation process. To do so I picked up one idea “how list of tasks could be presented “ and drew it 8 times within 8 min — 1 min for each iteration.
Solution Sketch (4-step Sketch activity)
Based on previously gathered ideas, I created a paper sketch of the very first concept. The main focus was made on the role Reporter and the corresponding task “Make and send a photo report. The flow should be as simple, intuitive and understandable as possible, since it is going to be made by taskmasters, workers, car drivers, cleaners etc.”
User Test Flow
Before diving into prototyping, I had built a sequences of steps for the role Reporter, that should be taken for accomplishing the given task within the app. Later, this journey served as a base for creating further mockups .
Having the Main Concept and User Test Flow at hand, it was pretty easy to start creating the screens.
So, let me quickly walk you through the screens.
I assumed that users with role Observer are plain city dwellers so they cannot become Reporters and accomplish tasks until they work for a specific organizations. Whereas, Reporters are workers who, potentially, might be Observers, but they have enough their own task to be done. That is why the cases of switching between roles are rather rate. Based on this hypothesis, I created a bit different UI for each role.